At Boronia West Primary School our Mathematics teaching and learning activities (in accordance with the Australian Curriculum) provide students with skills and knowledge in the areas of:
- Number and Algebra
- Measurement and Geometry, and
- Statistics and Probability
Our School Mathematics Program includes:
- Daily classroom Mathematics sessions
- Whole class and small group teaching based on student needs
- Open-ended questions and real-life problem solving activities
- Integrated ICT resources, including the use of Mathletics, Interactive Whiteboard educational programs, and the use of
- Mathematics ‘Apps’ on classroom iPads
- Continuous monitoring and assessment of student learning according to the Australian curriculum.
Through our school Mathematics Program we aim to develop:
- A genuine enjoyment of Mathematics as a subject in which all students can achieve and be successful
- All students’ abilities to use and apply Mathematics effectively in everyday situations
- Independent, as well as co-operative, ways of working, encouraging students to explore ideas and activities in a variety of group settings
- Student confident in their ability to apply their mathematical knowledge and skills in a variety of real life situations
- Student ability to use effective mental and/or written calculation strategies
- Students participate in on-line interactive activities using our school subscription to Mathletics.
- Mathletics is an activity-based, online resource that can be used at school, at home, independently, or as a class.
- All students at Boronia West Primary School have individual logon information that allows them to access this fantastic educational resource at home.
Boronia West Primary School has recently invested in a Mathematics Professional Development program provided by Educational Leader Michael Ymer. This has focused on our whole-school approach to:
- Providing teaching and learning programs that deliver enriched activities to support students at all stages of their learning
- Developing students’ abilities to use and apply Mathematics effectively in everyday situations
- Incorporating the new Australian Curriculum into our Mathematics program